The jaw joint – also known by its medical name as the temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ) – is the hinge that allows the lower jaw to open and close. A healthy joint is essential for your comfort and so that your teeth can function effectively. Problems with the jaw joint can cause pain, restricted movement or even locking when you open or close your mouth.
The jaw joint can be the damaged by trauma or certain behaviours though, in many cases, it’s impossible to pin down the precise cause. This is why, at Haoey Dental, we approach the problem in a holistic way and offer a range of therapies which include wearing a protective splint, orthodontic treatment or the injection of a muscle relaxant.
- pain in the face, jaw or neck
- stiff jaw muscles
- limited movement or locking of the jaw
- painful clicking, cracking, popping or grating in the jaw joint when you’re opening or closing your mouth
- a shift in the way the upper and lower teeth close together.
If these are not effective, we can offer:
- a custom-made dental splint to keep your teeth aligned and prevent you from grinding your teeth
- Botox to relax the muscles of the jaw.
In severe cases, surgery may be the most appropriate treatment.